Saturday, June 29, 2013

The bigots will stop at nothing (updated)

By Michael J.W. Stickings 

UPDATE: Fail.

**********

From the L.A. Times:

ProtectMarriage, the sponsors of Proposition 8, filed an emergency petition to the U.S. Supreme Court on Saturday to stop same-sex marriages from continuing in California.

The petition says the decision by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to permit weddings starting Friday afternoon was "premature."

It's Justice Kennedy, who of course wrote the majority opinion that struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, who will rule on this petition, as he is responsible for the 9th Circuit Court. Tom Goldstein of SCOTUSblog explains:

The application argues that the Supreme Court’s ruling in the Proposition 8 case is not yet "final," so the stay must remain in place. The Supreme Court ordinarily does not issue its formally binding ruling – known as the "judgment" – in a case from a federal court of appeals until 25 days after it releases its "opinion." Because the Court issued its opinion in the Proposition 8 case on June 26, it would by default not issue the judgment until Monday, July 22. (The 25th day is July 21, a Sunday.) The principal point of that delay is to permit the losing party to prepare and submit a petition for rehearing to the Justices, though such petitions are as a practical matter never granted.

So basically, the bigots behind Prop 8 want more time to prepare to continue to fight for their bigotry, and to "delay the inevitable," as Goldstein writes. In any event, Goldstein thinks this emergency petition will "likely" fail, for a variety of pretty solid reasons.

What's clear, though, is that the bigots are desperate, and will stop at nothing. So extreme is their bigotry.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Let me just say that it is great to have you back. I really miss you when you aren't writing. Your tweets just don't cut it. I'm not a 140 character kind of guy.

    In this case, however, I don't blame these people. It sucks to lose. And this is a huge loss in the sense that they've lost the battle and the war. So I think we should be understanding of their little tantrum. And remember: in ten years, most of them will be embarrassed they were even part of this.

    As for me: I want to celebrate. I want to go out and marry a man. Unfortunately, polygamy is still illegal. Otherwise, I think I could convince my wife.

    By Anonymous Frank Moraes, at 11:07 PM  

  • Thanks, Frank. I appreciate that.

    Although I still intend on spending a lot of time on Twitter, I need to get back to blogging in earnest.

    I'm not saying I blame them. I realize they've lost and that history is leaving them in the dust. But they're still a bunch of worthless bigots.

    It's Pride Weekend in Toronto, one of the biggest celebrations of the year in Toronto, and from what I understand one of the biggest pride celebrations in the world. I can't say I'm, uh, going there, but I'm really proud nonetheless.

    But to each his own, of course.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home