Friday, March 02, 2012

This day in music - March 2, 1983: The first CDs become available in the U.S.


(Ed. note: I would just like to note that this post violates my rule that this blog, like my car, be a Billy Joel-free zone, with the possible exception of "Piano Man." I like that song a lot. But far be it from me to censor Richard. Blame him, not me. -- MJWS)

Apparently, on March 2, 1983, CBS Records released 16 titles on CD in the U.S. The first CD to be manufactured was The Visitors by ABBA in Germany in 1982. The first album to be released on CD was Billy Joel's 52nd Street, which reached the market alongside Sony's CD player CDP-101 on October 1, 1982 in Japan. I guess that means the ABBA recording was produced before 52nd Street but released after.

And, to confuse things further, Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA was the first compact disc manufactured in the United States for commercial release, when CBS opened its CD manufacturing plant in Terre Haute, Indiana in September 1984. Discs previously had been imported from Japan.

I am not entirely sure which 16 titles were released in the U.S. by CBS on March 2, 1983, but 52nd Street was put out by CBS Records, so it stands to reason that it was one of the 16.

For the record, Rolling Stone magazine lists 52nd Street as among the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Here's "My Life" from the album, which, according to the YouTube post, was taken from a November 2006 performance in Tokyo.


(Cross-posted Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Sorry about your Billy Joel pain - I feel it too :-) . Check out http://www.murfie.com/ where you can "upgrade" your 30 year old CDs to the 21st century - to make 'em streamable and downloadable. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CD!

    By Anonymous Murfie, at 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home