Thursday, September 10, 2009

The heckling of a president (sort of)

By Michael J.W. Stickings

As you've probably heard by now, Obama was heckled at one point during his speech to Congress last night.

Although "heckled" may be a bit too strong a word. What actually happened was that Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) shouted out "You lie!" as Obama was talking about illegal immigrants.

It was classless and embarrassing -- and Wilson has since apologized:

This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the president's remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill.

While I disagree with the president's statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the president for this lack of civility.

I was going to make Wilson our Craziest Republican of the Day, but he recovered nicely. (Though he's still politically and ideologically crazy, of course.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • You scooped me on this one - I should get up earlier - but it's important to mention that Obama was actually telling the truth and Wilson was lying by accusing him of lying.

    Can we know if Wilson knew the accusation was false or whether he just likes to shout? We can know that as things stand, illegal immigrants do get free medical care at the public expense under the status quo the Repubicans seem satisfied with.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 9:28 AM  

  • I can't believe the inappropriate and disrespectful behavior towards our president.

    By Anonymous Amy, at 5:20 PM  

  • This was very disrespectful, it showed that the representative does not give respect to the person in the highest postion in the U.S. I wonder, if it were another president would he have still disrespected him? I can only imagine the thoughts that ran through President Obama's mind.

    Viv

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:15 AM  

  • If I were the President and this sorry excuse for a human being hollared that while I was giving a speech to our nation his lilly white ass would have been hustled out of the room by the Sargeant of arms. The whole world would have seen first hand just what an imbecile he really is.

    P.S. People like Wilson make my blood boil. To think I went to war to fight for such an ingrate. By the way, I am white and my reference in the above paragraph are just how I feel. Other words I had in mind are not appropriate in this blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home